The first few posts on this blog have tended to feature China quite heavily. I thought it would be useful to outline some key questions I have – or have picked up from others – about the country. I’ve added links to relevant books and posts, most of which I’ve not read. If there are questions or resources I’ve missed, you should tell me.
- How did China get so big so quickly?
- How has it managed to stay together (mostly)?
- What implications does its size have today? (h/t Arnaud Schenk)
- How should we understand ethnicity in China? (See also)
- How should we understand China’s place in the world and the way China has thought about it? (See also)
- Is China a nation-state, or a civilisation like European Christendom?
- How should we understand modern Chinese history and the country’s political situation?